Friday, July 27, 2012

XWolfHunter Is Not Dead.

This is true.  I yet live.
The reason I haven't made an update in - oh, what is it, two weeks?  One week?  A year?  Who knows?  Anyway, the reason is because I haven't really made much progress, due to a number of factors, one of which is definitely procrastination.  Sorry.

So, in the end, I did a great amount of good since last update, but also some bad as well.

I'll go with the good first, "best for last" be damned.




As the video shows, I have a rudimentary lives system going on.  It works!

Only problem is, it doesn't.  I am using a command that doesn't work on objects in the hierarchy (Well, it does technically work, but it causes some issues with the system, and I'll need to remedy that - but I wanted to show you guys something), so it pops up errors all the time.  This causes the game to crash when I run it as an EXE, which is what I'll be putting it on the web as, so . . . you can see the problems there.

Another thing that I did was I got rid of another reocurring error that messes with things in the system - improper variable declaration.  Long story short, I had to change a couple of things with every variable of a specific type in all m scripts, but it was worth it.  But that's invisible, so it's barely even worth saying.

If you paid attention, you may have noticed that the character died when he hit the "end of level" cube that was supposed to transport him to the next level.  Well, the character blows up whenever he hits anything, and I mean ANYthing.  Example GIF:


Yeah.

It's because I'm using a Trigger-based system (The trigger is set off whenever another mesh goes inside the trigger's mesh), which somehow managed to work before, but something I did sent it careening off the edge to the wild side, where it currently resides, so I'm going to have to go by a collision-based system instead, using tags and other such things as a filter instead of just blindly assuming everything is deadly.

So that's (pitifully) about all that I have to show you.  Hopefully, next time I update (Next weekend, I swear it), I'll have a lot more to show you, like a finished lives system and a fixed collision system, but since it's not then, I have nothing more to show and tell.  So, until next time, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment